A Christmas Walking Tour of Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, and Rockefeller Center will light up your holiday season!
On this 75-minute tour the noted Christmas Historian Sibyl McCormac Groff, who coined the term Gothamtide <http://www.nychristmas.com/gothamtide/gothamtide-2/> , will explain how Christmas became the most important holiday towards the end of the 19th century due to New Yorkers such as Washington Irving, John Pintard, Clement Clark Moore and Thomas Nast.
Gothamtide decorations and festivities continue to build on traditions begun in the 19th century. The tour explains Gothamtide as the group weaves around from Park Avenue to Fifth Avenue and Rockefeller Center.
- the development of the Christmas tree, lights, cards, gifts and entertainment
- holiday markets around the town
- the history of the lighted trees in the midst of Park Avenue and in front of the Seagrams building
- holiday displays in and on hotels, department stores and boutiques
- Christmas music written in New York
- strolling past Big Apple treasures like St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Saks Fifth Avenue and Cartier’s – and finally,
- the most famous Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center
The NYC Christmas Walking Tour begins in the Park Avenue Plaza atrium nestled behind the Racquet Club, with many amenities – Starbucks (not open on the weekends), interesting shops including Chartwell Books and Neuchâtel chocolates together with rest rooms, tables and chairs to relax in this festive space. At Christmas this atrium has the most intricate and amazing animated exhibits with Christmas music by the noted Mechanical designer Lou Nasti, who has been creating mechanical displays for forty years. “The Bear’s Christmas” will feature different vignettes of Bears and other animated animals making presents, singing, skating, cooking and enjoying the holiday with moving parts popping up and background holiday music. Tour Schedule November 23 through December 30, 2012 – Thursday through Sunday at 5:30pm.
Contact If you should have any questions or would like to book a private tour please contact The Spirited New Yorker <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The cost of the tour is $20. To read more and to purchase tickets, visit: <http://www.nyctrip.com/Pages/Index.aspx?PageID=838>
Of course I would love to see you on one of my tours, but this one will cover some other areas and seems like a nice addition or alternative!